Friday, March 09, 2007

Newt's Divulgence

Newt Gingrich’s announcement that he was having an affair while pursuing President Clinton for the Lewinsky affair certainly comes at an interesting time. Why now? What purpose is there in announcing? Does this have any presidential impact? Hotair’s Allahpundit has this take:

If anyone benefits from this announcement, I’d say it’s Romney. The more the public finds out about Giuliani’s and Gingrich’s peccadilloes, the more comparatively attractive Mitt becomes. If his camp’s willing to play dirty, I’d expect them to go after McCain’s indiscretions and make the case even clearer to morals voters that there’s only one choice for them among the major candidates.
Do personal indiscretions disqualify someone from representing morals voters? That probably is the question for republican voters in 2008. All three candidates ahead of Romney (I’m lumping in Gingrich even though he hasn’t announced) have had their problems with personal morality. Personally, at this point, I’m not sure how much these types of stories will help Romney. Most notably for Giuliani, voters polled have been willing to overlook the personal lives of candidates. Plus, focusing on the personal past of other candidates opens the door for other candidates to more closely scrutinize Romney’s political past, something that has not been a strong point for him so far.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Gingrich is probably heading off revelations of his past by others in the event that he does choose to run.

Romney certainly has the higher ground on a lot of these moral issues, but the question is whether it will be enough. From what I've heard in some evangelical circles, there are those on the religious right who would still prefer a flawed Christian who is saved than someone they consider to be a non-Christian and not saved. In this context, Newt's revelation to Dobson might play off Christian belief's in repentance and forgiveness if they are more excited by his candidacy.

3:54 PM  
Blogger American Yak said...

Dear law students,

In my semi-frequent visits to this site, I've come to view you as somewhat pessimistic. Sorry for the name tossing, but where's your chutzpah? Where's the silver lining? Or is it just in the nature of a lawyer (student) to be cynical?

You don't have to be a cynic to think critically of Romney. I suppose I'm questioning the intent of this blog. Sometimes it seems more against than for.

Personally, I think Hotair's punditry is absolutely right. What does remain to be seen, however, is if the American people will agree with Hot Air.

</gripe>

4:29 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

I'm not sure what you're getting at rhap. I can only speak for myself personally, but what I typically try to do on this site is post on happenings that I think are relevant to Mitt Romney's campaign. In doing that I try my best not to "spin" on my posts (though I recognize that no one can really be truly "objective"). I do give my thoughts, opinions, and reactions on various happenings, but I try to be fair. If that comes off as pessimistic or cynical to you, all apologies. Perhaps it's law school... or perhaps it's just me.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats