Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"I do not have to moderate my theological differences with Mormonism one iota to vote for Romney"

No one doubts that there are theological differences between Mormon belief and that of other Christian churches. Why should this be a stumbling block for other Christians voting for a Mormon candidate though? I came across an interesting blog post today by a (presumably) evangelical Christian on this very topic. John Mark Reynolds, professor at the Christian Biola University in La Mirada California, writes:

I think the question of whether mainstream Americans will vote for a Mormon is an odd one. The President is not our pastor or our chief theologian. I do not have to moderate my theological differences with Mormonism one iota to vote for Romney. These differences are great and are not getting smaller. At the same time, I have shared common cultural cause in intellectual arenas with Mormons. . . for example at a conference at Cornell University. . . and did not feel my religious commitments shrinking as a result. Part of growing up mentally is learning to agree where you can and disagree where you really do.
I'm hoping that this becomes a prevailing view among religious voters who disagree with Romney theologically.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert Elart Waters said...

Martin Luther would agree.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats