Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Full text of Romney's 1994 gay rights letter surfaces

One of Governor Romney's biggest challenges has little to do with his religion. It is the perception that he is a flip flopper and political opportunist. This letter contains language such as "I am more convinced than ever that as we seek to establish full equality for America's gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent [Senator Kennedy]." What does this letter mean, and how does it square (if at all) with Romney's opposition to homosexual marriage in Massachusetts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Hopefully he resists the urge to adopt the religious right's rhetoric on this issue. One of the things I liked about Romney in the past was his moderation on issues like these (a proponent of equal rights while always opposing gay marriage). While I think Romney would do well in a general election holding views like these, it's bound to be a tough balancing act as he tries to win over the base.

7:35 PM  
Blogger David said...

I agree with you Marc that I'd like to see him avoid adopting the religious right's rhetoric. Doesn't appear to be happening though. One intersting thing that I have never seen before is (on such a big stage anyway) that he seems to be owning up to the fact that he has changed his views. I'm going to pay attention to how people react to that. It's been proven that you can't just pretend that you've never changed your mind when it's so obvious. I think this is a good strategy on Romney's part.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats